- The Christmas Day History
- World Christmas Symbols and Icons
- Christmas Tree
- Reindeer and Sleigh
- Christmas Star Lantern
- Exchange Gift
- Santa Claus
- Christmas Lights
- Christmas Angel
- Christmas Countdown
- Unique Christmas Day Gift Ideas and Suggestion
- Christmas Season House Decor Ideas
- Christmas Food Recipe List Ideas
- Xmas appetizers – Pepernoot Cookies
- Side Dish – Akoho sy voanio (Chicken with Coconut n Rice)
- Main Course – Crock Pot Roast Beef
- Christmas Dessert – Pavlova
- Christmas Day Traditions and Activities
We create a list of 2019 Christmas day gift ideas to give our family and friends. During the holiday season at the end of the year. It is amazing how fast time passes to celebrate Xmas again with our loved ones. So, it is hard to decide about Xmas gift ideas to share with our family and friends.
So, in this article, we will not just give you simple gift suggestions. But, overall any things related about Christmas day that you might want to ask. Are all here for you to read on a single blog article. Now, before we begin with the important topics, let us get some flashbacks about Christmas. Or you may skip reading and proceed with the topic you are interested into.
The Christmas Day History
As we all know, Christmas Day Origin by Christians is celebrated to commemorate the birthday of Jesus, the son of God. Today, Christmas is celebrated all around the world by any race and religion. Simply because Xmas is for all. Now, as part of Christmas History, some are asking why Christmas is spelled as Xmas for the short term and what “mas” stands for.
Christ was associated with letter X as a symbol of a cross when he died under crucifixion. And the “mas” is a short term for Church Mass. And since Christmas Day is all about happiness and joy. We usually greet our family, friends and loved ones with “Have a Merry Christmas”. Next on our list is about any significant associations with Xmas will be our next topic.
World Christmas Symbols and Icons
Now, there are a lot of Christmas symbols and icons that are popularly known. Some Xmas symbols and icons are different by country or religion based on tradition and beliefs. But, let us just make it short and simple with the popular characters and items.
Most house and office decorates Christmas tree indoors. It is said that the Christmas Origin of this symbol started in Germany during the early times. According to history, Martin Luther lighted a candle beside an Evergreen tree, now known as Xmas tree.
Reindeer and Sleigh
The symbol of Santa riding the eight reindeers on a flying sleight is popular among the children. The most popular among the reindeer is Rudolph, the red nose reindeer. The names of the rest of the reindeers are Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder and Blixem.
Christmas Star Lantern
The north star during the birth of Jesus which now symbolizes as Christmas Star Lantern. It is said that the 3 kings followed the north star that guided them towards Bethlehem which is the birthplace of Jesus, to pay tribute.
The activity and concept of Exchange Gift were derived from the three kings or also known as 3 wise men. Namely, Melchior of Iran (Persia), Balthasar of Saudi Arabia and Gaspar of India. When they reached Bethlehem, they offered gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh to Jesus.
I think every good child has known Santa and waiting on eve of Christmas Day to receive gifts from him. Santa Claus is also known as Saint Nicholas or Saint Nick. He is known to be entering a house by the chimney top.
The use of Xmas lights started in Germany where rich families would use candles to decorate their houses at night. Putting Christmas lights on a Xmas tree started in the United Kingdom during the regime of Queen Victoria.
It is believed that a pair who are under the Mistletoe should kiss. This tradition started in Greece where Mistletoe symbolizes fertility. Thus, Greek couples use this as a tradition during the marriage ceremony.
Popularly, Xmas Angel is placed on top of the Christmas tree or sometimes decorated by hanging it. This symbolizes when an Angel of God proclaimed to Mary, that she will conceive the son of God.
Our list would not complete on a good note without the snowman. It has been a popular activity to build a snowman during Christmas Day because of the winter snow. Although, it is believed that this started by a Jewish in Israel.
Unique Christmas Day Gift Ideas and Suggestion
It’s hard to decide what Christmas Gift to give your family and friends. So, to help you figure out and pick some choices. We listed 10 idea suggestion as special gifts that we recommend.
1. Christmas Letter through Xmas Card
This is the traditional way to tell someone how you appreciate them and be remembered this Xmas. Nowadays, only a few people still do this to tell their loved ones how they mean so much for them.
2. Gift with Christmas Ribbon Wraps
Sometimes even the most simple gift can be special when finished with a perfect Christmas Ribbon Wraps. Common good choices for Xmas ribbon wraps are red or gold accentuated designs.
3. Fruitcake or any food delicacy
This has to be something special. What I mean is that, if you have the time and you know how to cook. It will give a meaningful message to someone if you personally prepared the food for them. This means that you spent time and effort to please them.
5. Classic Perfume
Everyone wants to smell good. If you know that person’s favorite perfume then this would certainly make them appreciate you. Wrapped it inside a special paper bag.
6. Personalized Accessory or Scarf
This may be common for some. But, the difference is how you choose the right one. Some ideas are pendant with their name initials or a locket. It could also be something like their favorite character bracelet. For example, Hello Kitty for girls and Marvel Superheroes for boys.
7. Mobile Phone Stand
Everyone has a phone. And one way or another you would place it down on a table. So, to take advantage of a unique gift for Christmas Day is to give them a functional mobile phone stand. Some of which even have charging hub.
8. Signature Pen
We all need a pen to use at school and in the office or workplace. So, one of the best gifts to give on Xmas day is a personalized signature pen. Wherein it has their photo or name printed on it.
9. Mug or Tumbler
All of us drink coffee, tea, soda, juice or just plain water. Now, it’s certainly a good effort to give someone a mug or tumbler to bring at school and in the office or workplace. But, make sure it’s loveable. Perhaps if you have the budget, try a color-changing mug.
10. Memento or Table Desk decoration
If the person receiving your Christmas gift is really someone special. Try to give them a table desk decoration so they would remember you every time he or she looks at it. Something like Christmas Glass Ball, a pendulum or a wooden piece small statue.
Christmas Season House Decor Ideas
One of the most exciting activities during the Christmas Season is decorating the house or office. Family members gather up to create and combine their Christmas house decor ideas.
Some people want their theme for Christmas decorations to be unique each year. Meaning, they want something their Xmas ornaments different compared to the decorations during the previous year. But, if this is your first time to decorate your house if you recently moved. Create a checklist of the most important pieces among Xmas house decor ideas.
1. Green or White Christmas Tree
The celebration of Christmas day would never be complete without Christmas Tree. Simply because we place the gifts underneath. It has become a tradition that on Xmas day, family members open their gifts altogether around the Xmas tree. The colors of the Christmas tree comes in different colors nowadays. But, the most popular ones are green and white.
2. Flower or Leaf Garland
These pieces of Xmas vines called Garlands are great Christmas decorations for your wall, stair path or at the front door. They come in flowery or leafy designs of assortment.
Depending on your preference. Christmas lights can come in fixed or blinking light bulbs. Most people prefer to put fixed lights to decorate outside the house. While blinking Xmas lights are preferred to be kept for decorating inside the house.
4. Hanging Star Lantern
Christmas Star Lantern is placed near the gates, under the roof or near the front door. But smaller versions can be placed on top of a Christmas tree. It depends on the space you have.
5. Christmas Wreath
These are like circle-shaped garlands with either 2 bells at the bottom or could be another Xmas symbol. Either way, this decor are placed at the front door. Some prefer to put snowflakes design on it.
6. Red Socks
Mostly this decor is for children. There are certain countries like the Philippines where children believed that Santa would place their gifts inside a red sock. I also used to believe in this. Only to find out that my mom puts money inside them so that I could buy some toys. Haha.
7. Christmas colors
Most importantly, if you are on a tight budget. You can improvise some Christmas decors for as long as it matches the Christmas Colors.
Find pieces of decoratives that match these Xmas colors as an alternative. Now, let us move on to the yummy part of our topic for Xmas. Delicious food is like music to our ears.
Christmas Food Recipe List Ideas
The delicious food on Christmas Season is one of the much-awaited stuff during this time of the year. “Forget the diet and workout after the holidays”, is what my friends would usually tell me. Now to bring some unique flavors on the dining table. Here are some international Christmas Food Recipe List Ideas for your guide.
Xmas appetizers – Pepernoot Cookies
It is a Dutch native delicacy served during December Holiday.
Pepernoot Cookies Ingredients for 30-36 servings:
- 9oz plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- 5 1/2oz caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 5 1/2oz unsalted butter
- approx. 1 tablespoon milk
Pepernoot Cookies Procedure:
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt into a mixing bowl. Mix the sugar in and grated lemon rind. Cut the fat into the flour then rub it into a breadcrumb consistency. While, kneading into a soft dough, adding a little milk if needed. Shape into a ball and put in a cool place for at least 1 hour before rolling out.
- Turn the dough on to a floured board and roll out to 3 mm or a 1/8 inch thick. Using a biscuit or cookie cutters. Consequently, cut out a variety of shapes like Christmas trees, stars, rings and animals. Put together and re-roll the dough trimmings to make more cookies. With a thick skewer, pierce a hole in the top of each one. Leaving the other shapes plain. Then brush one side of the Christmas trees and stars sparingly with egg white, then dip into the coffee sugar before baking.
- Bake all the shapes in a preheated moderate oven at 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4 for 15 to 20 minutes or until set and golden brown. Cool on a wire tray. You can use icing to stick other decorations onto the cookies. When set, thread a narrow red or green ribbon or a tinsel cord through the hole in each cookie and hang on the Christmas tree or fir boughs.
Side Dish – Akoho sy voanio (Chicken with Coconut n Rice)
It is a typical recipe in Madagascar as part of Christmas Day dinner meal.
Akoho sy voanio Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 coconut / or a can of unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 20 grams/0.75 oz of ginger
- some Oil, salt and pepper
Akoho sy voanio Procedure:
- Slice the Onions. Cut tomatoes into small cubes, Chop the garlic and ginger very finely. Set all these aside to be used later.
- Cut the chicken into small pieces and sprinkle some condiments on top of the chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
- Shred the coconut into a clean cloth. Fold the cloth around the shredded coconut. Additionally, wet the cloth using a glass of warm water. Squeeze the cloth and the shredded coconut to extract coconut milk. Discard the shredded coconut. (But, if you want, you can use a can of unsweetened coconut milk instead!)
- Add a small amount of oil to a frypan. Saute the chicken, over medium heat, until done. Add the onions to the pan. Then, continue stirring over medium heat until the onions are brown. Add the chopped ginger, tomatoes, and garlic to the pan. Saute together briefly over medium heat.
- Add coconut milk and mix well. Reduce heat. Wait and simmer over low heat for thirty minutes.
- Serve with rice and salad.
Main Course – Crock Pot Roast Beef
It is a boneless chuck steak originated from Germany.
Crock Pot Roast Beef Ingredients for 4-6 servings:
- 1 3-lb. bone-in roast beef
- 6 russet potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into 2″ pieces
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary
- 3 c. low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire
Crock Pot Roast Beef Procedure:
- In a large slow cooker, place roast beef. Surround your roast with potatoes, onions, carrots, and herbs. Pour over the beef broth and Worcestershire.
- Cover and cook on high temperature for 5 hours or low temperature for 8 hours.
- Remove from slow cooker and let rest. Then slice and serve with vegetables.
Christmas Dessert – Pavlova
It is a meringue based cake and dessert from Russia.
Pavlova Ingredients for 6 servings:
- 4 egg whites
- 8 oz sugar
- teaspoon of vinegar
- teaspoon of vanilla
- dessertspoon of cornflour/corn starch
- tablespoon of cold water
- pinch of salt
- Beat egg whites and a pinch of salt together until stiff. Add half the sugar slowly while beating, then the other half likewise. Then add the rest of the ingredients one by one, beating as you go.
- Draw a circle around a small dinner plate on baking paper and place it on an oven tray. Place the mixture in the circle, making the edges slightly higher than the middle.
- Cook at 120°C / 250°F / Gas Mark 1/2 for one hour and then 100°C / 225°F / Gas Mark 1/4 for 1 hour. When cold, fill the middle with whipped cream and then put some fruits on top.
Christmas Day Traditions and Activities
Now, during this holiday, events and Christmas Day activities happen almost everywhere. Let us have a quick look at the major activities to do during this season.
Build a Snowman
Since Christmas falls in winter, building Snowman is like creating sandcastles on the shorelines. Snowman is one of the symbols for Xmas. So, most kids, even adults build a snowman on their front yard or at the park.
For countries where snow falls, a friendly battle of snowball fights among children, teens and even adults with kids at heart do play. It is fun to play where everyone could participate and join.
9 Mornings Church Mass – Simbang Gabi
Some countries like the Philippines celebrate Christmas through Church Service. This tradition is called 9 mornings Church Mass or local term Simbang Gabi. It is a belief that once you completed going to mass for 9 consecutive mornings, anything you wish or desire will come true.
Games and Gifts for Christmas Party
Now, everywhere during the month of December. Christmas party games and exchange gifts are some of the activities. Some of the popular Xmas games for the party are the following.
- Trip to Jerusalem
- Simon says
- Bring me this item
- Newspaper dance
- Limbo rock
- Pinoy Henyo (guess the word on your forehead)
- Raffle stubs under random seats/chairs (only the host should know)
Serenade by Christmas Carol
For children, it’s fun to sing Christmas Carol on every neighbor’s house. It is a custom to give gifts to the carolers. Children sing different Xmas carols and they usually have baskets with them where they place their gifts. It is heartwarming to be sung by children with any Christmas Hymn.
Speaking of Xmas Songs, let us mention some of the best known Xmas songs.
Christmas Song Popular Music List
You know that is Christmas whenever you hear any Xmas songs when you are outside. Perhaps at the mall, street or at many local establishments. They would usually play some of the Christmas songs popular music lists like the following.
- O holy night
- Silent Night
- Jingle Bells
- Last Christmas
- White Christmas
- 12 days christmas
- Santa Claus is coming to town
- Christmas in our hearts
- I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus
Before we end our article, I will leave you some of these Christmas quotes. You may include these Xmas quotes on your gift cards or simply a letter to your loved ones. Or just simply post them on your social media account.
During Christmas, all roads lead to home. I hope for you to soon find your way home.– Missing someone
Christmas is a motion for our souls. It moves us to think of others rather than ourselves. It directs our thoughts of giving rather than receiving.– Inspiring someone
May the spirit of Christmas bring you peace. The gladness of Christmas gives you hope. And the warmth of Christmas grants you love.– Caring for someone
Final thoughts on 2019 Christmas Day Gift Ideas
So, that wraps our blog article covering a lot of topics about Christmas Day. We look forward to that we all enjoy our holiday time with our family, friends and loved ones. This is the best time to eat, relax and have some fun at our year-ender. Merry Christmas Everyone and Happy Birthday to Jesus.
We hope you enjoyed reading our 2019 Christmas day gift ideas. Want to share your ideas and opinions? Feel welcome to leave your comment below. Also, kindly share this with your family and friends on Facebook for a discussion. – apartmentsforrentx team.
2019 Christmas Day Gift Ideas
We created a list of 2019 Christmas day gift ideas to give our family and friends during these holiday season. Check our home decor and food recipe.
Edition : 2019
Name : Christmas Day Gift Ideas
Author : Franc
ISBN : 800-8-88-000002-8
Date Published : 12/02/2019
Format : EBook